Indian recipes that support your diet for weight loss
Indians have a wide array of delectable dishes cooked with a lot of oil and ghee. When eating with family, it sure gets tough to resist such wonderful preparations. These food items are heavenly on the tongue and equally generous on adding to our weight. However, if on a weight loss program, it is important that your diet for weight loss below in fats and high on proteins.
The Indian cuisine, in general, includes a lot of fried food items. But were you aware that there is an equally good number of Indian delicacies perfect for those who are trying to shed some weight?
Mentioned below are some easy to prepare recipes for weight loss that you can try.
Recipes for weight loss
Filling your hungry tummies with a bowl full of vegetable soup will satisfy your hunger cravings by almost half. Soup can be classified as a diet food for weight loss if prepared with low fat or cream.
- 1/4 kg Red pumpkin sliced
- 1 Onion sliced
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 Small piece of ginger
- 1 cup freshly squeezed coconut milk
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tsp Butter
- Black salt and roasted cumin powder
- Add butter in a wok; add the cloves and onions and sauté for a minute.
- Add pumpkin slices and sauté the same with little salt till soft.
- Allow cooling and grinding it in a mixer with 1 cup of water.
- Transfer it into a wok and boil the same.
- Add black salt, roasted cumin powder and the coconut milk for taste and your soup is ready.
- Split lentils – 1/2 cup, rinsed (U can even use mixed lentils)
- Olive oil-1 tblsp
- Onions- 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves (optional)
- Green Chilly – 1 small, finely chopped
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp (or as needed)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds -1 tsp
- Peppers – 1/2 Tsp
- Lemon juice – 1/4 cup
- Dry roast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns and crush them coarsely.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions, garlic and green chilly.
- Add remaining ingredients leaving out the lemon juice and bring to boil. Cover and cook for 25 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
- Puree with a hand blender.
- Return the pureed mixture back to the saucepan and reheat and add some lemon juice.
Yes, you read it right! Slightly different from the traditional paranthas made in India, these are one of best ways to eat your favorite food while trying to diet for weight loss. One can use different variations of vegetables like Broccoli, Cauliflower, spinach, radish, cabbage, and tofu.
- Whole Wheat flour – 1.5 cups
- Broccoli – 1/2 crown
- Onion – 1/2
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Green chilies – 2
- Garam masala – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Ajwain – 1/2 Tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Boil Broccoli florets in water with some salt.
- Next, grind them into a fine paste with turmeric powder, garam masala, garlic and green chilies.
- In a mixing bowl add wheat flour, the ground mixture, some chopped onions, salt, and ajwain.
- Knead it like chapatti with required water.
- At this stage, you can let the dough rest for some time.
- Make small balls similar to chapatti and cook them on the gas without any oil.
South Indian dishes
The healthiest of Indian cuisines, South-Indian items are known for their taste and health quotient. They are not only easy to digest but also easy to prepare.
Appam (without coconut)
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Poha/aval/pressed rice – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/2 Tsp
- Sugar – 1 Tsp
- Yeast – 1/2 tbsp
- Soak the rice for 5-6 hours along with the Poha.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add little lukewarm water in the yeast to activate it.
- Once the yeast foams up, add it to the batter and keep for fermentation overnight.
- About 1/2 an hour before making the appams, mix in the sugar and salt.
- Add one or two tbsp of batter in it and twist the wok in a circular motion to give the aapam its shape.
- Cover and cook for one minute.
Recipes for weight loss are aplenty in the Indian cuisine. One can even remove the fatty ingredients from regular recipes and turn them into diet food for weight loss recipes. You can get a complete day diet plan here.