When your child goes from slim and active to obese and lazy then it is a cause of concern. A look into your child’s medications, habits, routine and daily activities will help you to find the reason behind this unhealthy weight gain.
In some cases, poor eating habits, lack of physical activities, and increased intake of carbonated drinks or sugary items become the reasons for gaining weight.
Major reasons for gaining weight
- Asthma and allergies
Asthma and allergies do not affect the kids’ weight directly but they definitely have an indirect effect on that. Because of breathing problems, the children with asthma problems avoid going out to play and also do not participate in sports. This will reduce their physical activities and in turn causes weight gain.
Depression is not only in adults but these days due to pressure to excel and compete in such a competitive world, the children feel pressurized and this may lead to depression. These children with depression will lose interest to meet people, they are fussy and lazy, lack interest in participating in physical sports and activities and also indulge in unhealthy eating and drinking. This will lead to excessive weight gain.
- Unhealthy Gut
Munching on unhealthy snacks and drinks without any time constraints and following an unhealthy pattern of diet is very risky for the children as this will accumulate a lot of fats and bad cholesterol among children which leads to weight gain. Hence the consumption of sodas, sugary items, and deep-fried snacks must be avoided.
Although very rare in children, hypothyroidism can result in weight gain. This is a condition which causes the thyroid gland to produce reduced thyroid hormone which helps to regulate metabolism, blood pressure, and energy levels.
Many times if your child is on medication for some illness or disorder that these medications need to be blamed for their weight gain. Some medications will make you feel hungrier, decrease your metabolism, make you feel sleepy and so on which can result in weight gain.
Weight gain problems in children
There are a lot of risks and problems associated with weight gain among children such as:
- Shortness of breath that leads to reduced physical activities, sports and so on.
- Bone and joint problems
- Breathing problems at night which might lead to obstructive sleep disorder among the kids.
- Overweight girls will have irregular menstrual problems which might result in fertility problems when they grow up.
- Obese kids are prone to emotional issues like low self-esteem, lack of concentration, reduced self-confidence and so on.
- Cardiovascular risks due to increased bad cholesterol which might develop heart ailments and strokes in adulthood.
- Children who are overweight have a tendency to develop type 2 diabetes which may further lead to eye diseases, kidney dysfunction, and nerve damage.
It is said that healthy habits start at home. Hence, the best way to fight childhood obesity is to get the full family on a healthier diet track. By making better food choices and being more active will benefit everyone regardless of weight in a long run.